Thursday 13 September 2012

R U OK?


Today is R U OK?Day - We are encouraged to check in with each other today and ask the question 'Are you OK?', to stop little problems becoming bigger.


Almost 4 years ago I walked into my son's 3 months check up with my Child Health nurse. I was a shell of a person, barely coping and feeling totally isolated from my world.
I had no idea I needed help, I would not have had any idea of how to ask for it, but I needed it badly.

I was very lucky & blessed to meet Christie my child health nurse that day, after checking over my son, whilst glancing at me constantly, she sat down next to me and said "are you alright"? I said "I think so, I'm not sure".

If she had not have asked me if I was OK, I do not wish to think how much worse I would have been. She made me acknowledge that something was wrong, that the little bubble I was living in, was not where I should be.
She saved me that day, saved me from myself, helped me to see that how I was feeling was not 'normal' and I needed help to get out of it.



Such a simple question isn't it? Yet so scary because you just don't know what to do if they say No I'm not OK. And yes the answer is sometimes scary and not straight forward. Since starting Mums Helping Mums PND support Network I have spoken to many other sufferers and most days my computer screen is filled with Mums who are not ok. It's scary and sometimes confronting, but If I and others had not started such support networks, where would these amazing women go when they are not ok?

How to say 'I'm not ok'
(for further info please visit here)

There are many ways you can access support, including:

  • Calling a crisis line for immediate help
  • Visiting your local doctor
  • Talking to someone you trust
  • Making an appointment to see a counsellor or psychologist

 Help lines

  • 1800 RUOKDAY (7865 329) - This number connects you to five of Australia's crisis and information lines: Lifeline, Suicide Call Back Service, Kids Helpline, SANE Australia helpline and beyondblue Info Line.
  • PANDA 1300 726 306 - PANDA's telephone information, support and referral service
  • Lifeline 13 11 14 - 24/7 telephone crisis support
  • SANE Australia - 1800 18 SANE (7263) - Telephone mental illness advice and referrals
  • beyondblue - 1300 22 4636 - Info line for depression, anxiety and related disorders.
I'd be totally OK with Hugh Jackman

You don't need to be a professional, just pick up the phone and call family or a friend and check in to make sure they are OK. Open your ears, listen without judgement and be prepared to follow through. A simple conversation could help someone or even save them.

R U Ok? Please comment below or contact me here if you need support today or any day.


Thank you for reading,
Christina


            

No comments:

Post a Comment