Tuesday 13 September 2011

'Talk About our Postnatal Depression Tuesday' - R U OK?


So what is R U OK?Day?
"On Thursday 15 September, 2011 is R U OK?Day. It’s a national day of action which aims to prevent suicide by encouraging Australians to connect with someone they care about and help stop little problems turning into big ones.

On that day we want everyone across the country, from all backgrounds and walks of life, to ask family, friends and colleagues: "Are you OK?".

Staying connected with others is crucial to our general health and well being. Feeling isolated or hopeless can contribute to depression and other mental illnesses, which can ultimately result in suicide. Regular, meaningful conversations can protect those we know and love.

It's so simple. In the time it takes to have a coffee, you can start a conversation that could change a life."

For more information on  R U OK?Day? please visit their website here or visit them here on Facebook


I know how difficult it can be to approach someone and ask them if they are OK. In truth, I'm afraid of the answer. What if they say they are not OK? What do I do then?
But we should not let our fear of an answer get in the way of caring for someone else. When you ask someone if they are OK, do you hang around to listen? Do you actually hear their answer?
Do you even know what to say?
Do you know within the last 3 years struggling with Postnatal Depression I don't think I have ever been asked the simple question R U OK? To be honest I'm not sure i would have ever been able to say anything other then I'm fine, but that simple question might just make my walls come tumbling down and save me from myself.

Here is a list of things that well-intentioned people said to me and others

(This information provided from myself and other Mums on our Support Page)
  • It’s all in your head. You need to think positive.
  • Why don’t you try and exercise?
  • Go Shopping and you will feel better.
  • Meditation and yoga are all you need.
  • Get a new job.
  • Are you happy in your relationship?
  • You have everything you need to get better & Do you WANT to feel better?
  • Everyone has problems 
  • "Chin up - do you want me to come and clean the house?
  • "You have a happy healthy baby, what have you got to be sad about?'
  •  You just need a good nights sleep
  • There are allot of other people out there who are far worse off then you
  • What do you have to be depressed about
  • Your just being silly, get some sleep and you'll be fine
    Whatever happened to the simple questions of R U OK?
    I really feel that people are just afraid of the answer and I also believe that people are afraid to answer honestly.

    So This Thursday the 15th of September lets ask our Friends, Kids, Colleagues and Loved ones R U OK? And be prepared for an honest answer. It's OK you don't need to know what to say, sometimes it's the simple act of showing that you care enough to ask in the first place that can make a difference to that person and possibly save a life.

    So I ask you, R U OK?
    And please answer Honestly

No comments:

Post a Comment